Saturday, July 20, 2019

A World a Week: 9KW, the Hoof Then Outwards


I've been rereading, or really reading, Paizo's Starfinder over the last two weeks to keep my eyes from bleeding staring at my own writing. Of course it brought me back my own New Khazan piece done in 2010 and some of my notes for publishing a newer version my setting which I started doodling about three years ago in '15. Going ahead and just mapping out the mentioned systems, at least at how they related to each other, struck me as a good idea.
Starfinder's sphere fantasy known worlds encapsulated in a single solar system is neat. Of course, I need something just a bit bigger. I had just done some sketches after seeing the Firefly RPG which I think has a tripple star system, the memory is a little foggy. Still after years of researching the Centauri solar systems for my own stuff, slipping some of the 9,000 Worlds into it was a fun thing. I can't find the most detailed version of this map, but I will dig it out sooner or later. In this system I was able to slip in the worlds of Bark Island and New Khazan. I'll probably be able to slip in at least four more Imperi worlds listed in the '10 release.

Still the 9KW needs to be a little bigger than even three stars with tens of places to put space fantasy realms.
Hmmm. Okay keeping with it's original game setting simplicity. Still a bit more is needed. Got the Imperi Territories, reptile-kin and elf fiefdoms forming an empire more akin to the Holy Roman Empire than say the Egyptians or Romans. Then there is the Ogrish Horde conquests, where orks, ogres, and a few balrogs make life miserable for the natives on about a thousand worlds. Of course the Trade Alliance where humans, dwarves, and space-hobbits (totally different from hobbits) make up most of the fair-minded and non-enslaved worlds of Known Space. Still a bit of something else is needed.
Hmm. Workable. I am doing fantasy space so I don't need to look too high tech. When the worlds are listed not only will I reverse the black and white, I will roll the layout into a spherical presentation. So what you're looking at is the peel so to speak, and the worlds are going to have X,Y,and Z coordinates to give depth to settings and the Player-Character spell-ship navigator headaches.


No comments:

Post a Comment