Tuesday, September 3, 2019

A World A Week: Blimp World

So the Amazon TV series Carnival Row has forced me to restart designing that perfect city-fantasy/ steam punk setting yet again. With its Blimps, fairies, and Edwardian England, I find myself pulling out notes from 2004 for my first "mixed technologies and folkloric fantasy setting called "the Straits."
Seeing it done right by China Mieville's novel the Scar in '07, I put it down for a while. But I get the itch. I've been sticking to quick tries like Egg City my take on Shadowrun meets Mother Goose, I suppose. But Orlando Bloom's latest attempt to show that a model can be a smart man and a tough guy just does it right enough to be inspiring.


So it's not blimps, it's harnessed shy-hippos
For all my love of World War I fetishism , blimps just don't really work for me. I am still a Jean Giraud fan when it comes to floating things. Creatures and people make interesting subtext. I have also spent enough time in the air to know blimps are not signs of power but desperate attempts to be massive without ever succeeding. But writing the passages about sky-hippo maintenance might have me just go with blimps and be done with it.

This being urban fantasy, there are humans along with other fantastical species (races, kin, whatever). Goblins, because why not; and an ostrich-headed individual. I might be going into my warped version of the Furry fetish which I should admit a very superficial understanding of in case you ever get to read anything from this world in-depth. No elves or dwarves yet. I don't feel I need them, but lordsheads know where the writing will take me.

The World around Pholus City-State

Pholus City-State
is if Colchester stayed as prominent as it should've on the British Isles. It is the first and last colony of the Overlord's Empire on the Big Island. It is a city of five million and it controls its nearest 100 miles, though surrounded by primitive Bretons and swarthy Continentals. Its Cloud Corps is its answer to dealing with the more often than not overwhelming forces on the continent just about 22 miles over its shores, and the cow-herders along its landlocked borders.

The Free City of Pallis is Amsterdam plain and simple, but with sky-hippos and more than few furries. They are strong enough to share a mutual protection pact with Pholus City-State against the rising forces of "the Horde" to the ever troublesome west lands. They are pioneering biplanes. Meanwhile their gully trolls don't take kind to incursions on their homeland's borders.

Hop Island and Brooz has had enough of everyone's meddling and declared themselves neutral.  That includes "the Compact" (Pallis and Pholus), the Maroon, and the Horde. Whether or not any of these other parties let the area stay uninvolved is a matter of debate among the others ruling elites it would seem.

Havre- the capital of the Maroon Kingdoms' north-most countries. With its massive population and industrial base, it also tries to be the protector of "the Old Ways." It is always looking to cause trouble in the Fields and westward. Many of the wilder creatures in both those places would be more than happy to be Maroon citizens.

Klust- East-most capital of the Horde Lords' lands. Their advances in biplanes and blimps could prove sky-hippos obsolete. The constant state of conflict by the Horde's Unification Wars have this city's armies deadly modern and its magical powers horribly black


No comments:

Post a Comment