Wednesday, August 26, 2020

WHAPing Bats

 So the RPG sessions continue. 

I am only doing my straight up Red Bat campaign "Killing Hitler" which is pretty much Wobble Lite these days. I am toning things down with 60s-style spy motifs, werewolves, and space stations in orbit in 1966. Totally old hat, I say to you "sheesh." See how I avoided a sentence fragment there? I've outlined about seven scenarios in what I call the SEWA '66 milieu. The Society of Extraordinarily Weird Affairs, first appeared in a steampunk couple adventures written by Mike Larsen, Monk, which he'd submit for me to publish. Precocious much? So I had to develop a game system for them, namely the forerunner to my current Batty one. It was TAG: WHAP (Tom's Adventure Gaming: Wildly Heroic Action Pulp). So far the Steam-60s are proving to be a lot of fun, let's see how many of the scenarios we get through as this group gels. Might be a campaign book or a 13-Page World by the end of things.

When WHAP became Red Bat

At the same time, an iteration of our superhero campaign has started gaining steam after a couple introduction scenarios. The GM, Iron Curtis, has been indulging in some of very personal fancies which we as players have been sidestepping for the most part. A group favorite, Baron Karza' is turning into Scorpious from Farscape, giving romantic advice to one of the PCs. Cage Fight Night? My PC, Clone (Batman/Manhunter homage), turns on the fire sprinklers. By the way I've grown to hate cage fighting in Canadian-produced TV sci-fi/fantasy shows almost as much as the obligatory torture episodes since 9/11. Ten-story monster, approximately the height of the "70s 'Zilla," versus giant robots, we come up with plans to do it without the mecha-suits. One player quit the session when it became obvious we had to have at least one giant robot to win the fight, He came back to watch the saga unfold though-- there is a lot of... emotionality(?), well at least comfort in the years-old club that we have going.

This is usually the time where I focus on new products not role-playing, but with GenCon's cancellation it has needed to happen. Keeping up on the skill keeps the product release in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment