Saturday, May 6, 2023

Everytime at the Table: Wobble aNu

 I normally like three to four ppl at the table when I GM. With Wobble though, I run a lot of sessions for one maybe two players. When Peryton announced her seasonal departure from the late night Saturday scene because of the new season of The Last Drive with Joe Bob Briggs, I doubled down on perfecting the One-on-One session. Iron Curtis and I decided to some wobbling on our own for the duration. His Professor Viggo, which has either warped into Viaggo or I have been misspelling for four years now, is in the throes of some Sci-Fi opera and my Wobble notes are not getting any shorter.

Mind you, I've done quickies for single players since forever. Most have shown up at a convention table for a session scheduled a little too early in the AM for others to show. I'd announce that I need three players and refund their ticket or I've give them the highlights of the game they are about to miss. Then for about an hour, I'd recount the outline I had drawn up, complete with very detailed descriptions of the encounters. Towards the end, I would slip in questions as to what would the player's Character have done during the drama. Of course this was to bring about a collaborative conclusion. No one has ever gone away without a nod, maybe even a smile, signifying that it was an enjoyable meeting. Indeed many PeryPubbers reading this joined the group because of these sessions.

Now with Curtis, this is not the same. While neither us of had planned to anything else that night, he is one strong GM as well as one willful player. So I devised a d4-based matrix of events, but framed with using the Red Bat six-sided die in case the PC went a direction that did not account for, that would set in motion events that would define the drama later. Results did not disappoint.

So on the planet of Inasfar, the crew of the Dodo, Professor Viaggo and Daisy Adair (who can fly anything), have been awaiting the trial of Alejandro of Inasfaras. Viaggo's boyfriend happens to accused of things like piracy and treason towards the Cylon state. Luckily he happens to be the older twin of the last Dude of this planet, and so his treason is complicated. Hence the reason why he wasn't just vaporized after being logged as caught while being pirates on a commercial trade route after their identities, for insurance claims, were recorded.

I worked in one of my favorite NPCs, Jax Biznezz, interstellar/transdimensional Lawyer at Law. 

Jax is actually much sexier than this picture

While I had four paths worked out. Curtis had other ideas. Perhaps his white privilege as a person in real life, but he just knew things could be talked out. He was wrong, but I had to flesh out no less than four NPCs to convince him of as much.

Now the next step seems to be... a break out before trial.


No comments:

Post a Comment