Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Apocalypse in Your Hometown: Running Malthouse

Apocalypse in Your Hometown is going to be a series of scenarios written by David Moskowitz, Mark Thornton, Scott Malthouse, and myself, utilizing modern rules variations of T&T to shoehorn into Jerry Teleha' Stay Alive! adaptation. I say "shoe-horned" because these scenarios were actually written before the rules were released about a year ago. The scenarios were meant to hurry up the author with the work, but will be released well afterwards thanks to me. While I apologize to the contributors for the delay in the project's release, I blame, these days, quality assurance reasons. Look at it like this, when AiYH happens it'll bring a rush of attention prompting Jerry to work on the follow-up projects to the rules variation. 

A couple of weekends ago, Jerry ran Scott Malthouse's Hometown scenario, "Catacombs of the Black Coven" in Fort Wayne, Indiana at a local gaming festival. I had planned on running an impromptu session of Mark Thornton's "Utu," but things didn't pan out. Sadly, a game festival in Parma, OH, is looking like it's going to a be a wash as well so I won't be running David Moskowitz's either before the planned release in Jan 2015.  A Good News/ Bad News situation to say the least, though I have to admit I am jonesing to run _something_ . 

Playing in "Catacombs" was awesome on a couple levels. I had made myself forget the adventure, which wasn't hard as I scan/read it over eighteen months ago. Just from a personal perspective, it's a beginning level adventure, and my Character had two lucky rolls, which had me closer to 3rd level according to 7plus rules. I also enjoyed watching, nay, listening to JerryTel, a rather map-oriented GM, incorporate Malthouse's prose, always a treat, into the work-- I literally got a chill. The rules wrapped seamlessly around the scenario, if the GM was working hard, I couldn't tell, which is how it should be with T&T

The author happens to be something of a budding superstar expert in fantasist circles when it comes to folklore, so the magicapocalypse that overcame the British Isles, wasn't surprising. On a scale of Smurf to Godzilla, bigger is better on this scale, "Catacombs" is definitely a Big Foot. The diminution is for the fact that the adventure starts long after any apocalypse ever happened. There was also no sense of discovery of the Hometown. According to the GM, the scenario could've been a campaign of more than six games, which is awesome. 


Pretty much how I remember Uxbridge, London
Still I got to play Denton Van Zan for an afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm still upset about D&D.

      You're still a great GM, and getting amazing.

      Delete