Sunday, February 17, 2019

Ever More Tacos in Toledo: BASHCon '19

 

 BASHCon a U of Toledo's Student Activity cash cow every February was the last two days. And despite my nappy Sunday, waiting for the gang to go out to dinner, it worked for me. The gang of PeryPubbers, complete with its Darkshade components, that show up is kind of a big thing because of our places on the map and overall bang for the buck cost-wise for gaming and lounging. Even on bad years, we at least have each other to game to with, as well as growing number friends that jump in from other overbooked games. This year was marked by an incredibly uninterested student staff, that viewed the event as having to mow the lawn for their grandparents. I think only the local Pathfinder organization had any publicity before the doors opened though every submitted event did make it into the printed program, some 1,500 pamphlets strewn throughout the building so it doesn't matter. Maybe the vendors that showed up might have some complaints, I doubt that they don't know the deal.

We, Pery, me, and JerryTel, blew off  going to the campus Friday night altogether. While sending out missives on the interwebs as to our whereabouts, we'd meet for the late dinner at Applebee's. That is where G'noll, Paul H., found us. He drove in from Wisconsin on Thursday evening which I often do as well but didn't to carpool with the wife this year. He was a bit more than relieved to see us and get down to some serious deep winter dorkiness. Lore of Gary Gygax and insider knowledge of small press publishing flowed as much as the warmth and beverages from us all until very close to midnight. We closed out the night back at his room checking out the competent BASHCon program, where we, sadly, at this point noted that our scheduled events did indeed get some ink. Sara, Saharrah, and New Tom, texted us telling us that would be showing up even later and that we'd see them in the AM or lunch-ish. 

I didn't show up for my morning 8am Crawlspace session, staffers show up at 9am, if then, and I just saw the probabilities on the wall at 6am. Apparently nobody else did either, except G'noll--dammit. "You sounded so confident last night." Paul said.
"You sounded like you were going to sleep to noon." I replied.

We had a nice long lunch with Sarah and Tom. JerryTel and Perytons' game "Keep on the Borderland" got started at 2pm. Sarah would disappear to an indy game, Tom and I went to the auction and spent about $10 on stuff we really didn't need.  Every dinner-ed on their own, but that gang came together for "Bad Moon over the Maumee." With Cory Tucholski (Death Magnet) there were ten ppl at the table. Not enough for a two-GM event, so I took over and let JerryTel play. I loved it, and despite popular rumors it was not a TPK. Two characters were able to make it back to the city. Cory died twice though, which has marked a new milestone in my GMing experience. Pancakes, not waffles, came next-- remind me that IHOP is bad when not doing whipped creamed goop on sweet bread.

 

So Sunday came. Jerrytel ran the second half of "Keep on the Borderlands" by himself. Robin, Peryton, and I did our last minute wandering waiting for the session's completion. Liam, the Boy, showed up and he taught me poker games that he and his coworkers and friends are doing these days. I all-in'ed on a five card stud match when JerryTel showed up. I won of course (I am lying). The gang was ready for the closing dinner at "El Patio" (El Vaquero(sp?) in Toledo) as named by the Boy. Hugs were given in the parking lot afterwards. Talks of "Midsummer Night's Dream in Middle Earth" hoot for June are in the development phases.

Overall, success. When the clique is able to do their own thing and still have one event for mostly just us, I consider that a good convention. We didn't have the five PeryPubber events and the closed door members only thing that we normally do, but hey we filled up more tables than the larger RPG (corporation-funded) clubs. I spoke with one creative sort who might want to publish a steam-punk-y sort of thing. Sarah has given me her indy designer's card and insist I speak with him. So a small scale event, but with comfort and renewal for all involved. That is including the ever disappointed G'noll.

Did I mention I killed a character, zombified him, and then killed him again without anybody being called stupid? 

No comments:

Post a Comment