Friday, November 11, 2011

Trolls Upon Trolls

I can't exactly explain why, but I am a troll fan versus being a dragon groupie. Part of it has to do with being a T&T versus D&D and its hype, I mean I could keep myself entertained with Solo dungeons for an entire Summer without a gamer-laden group of friends. But there was more than that going on. Trolls are human, well human-like, or just humanoid. It just makes them that much more interesting. You see, the fantasy in front or you, an imaginary character, expressed as tallied numbers on a shet of paper, are suddenly Face-to-Face with the ugliest aspect of a person that you never wanted to encounter. No Expressionism-laden "dinosauric" conjuring of the injustices of the world; just the heaviness of brutality and coldness bearing down on your small, tiny really, figure.

Trolls just rock. So this month, November, I think I'll illustrate, verbally, what I picture trolls as. Now I know that I am only riding the crest of rocking movie Troll Hunter, but for some reason, I think this film deserves as much attention as it can get. AND I was into trolls well before this movie, and what seems to be sudden Norwegian marketing of trolls and trolldom (TROLL MANIA) came about. But at the same time, I just don't think that Norway is actually cool enough for my trolls.

My trolls actually come from Ken St Andre's philosophy of "troll making." I don't have the text in front of me here, but I am pretty sure that trolls tend to be adaptive, when they aren't actually elemental. And I have more than a few realms for them to be from. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment