Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Ever Working on Spacers

 So you probably already know when it comes to my sci-fi RPG fix, there are fixes as I am complete space junky. There are so many good rocketship S-F RPG pieces out there anymore that I almost feel like I could craft my campaigns without writing a single note for myself. Well, that isn't happening though. So this year, I am scribbling notes and doodles about too settings called Big Space and Far Star.

I am currently all excited about "Big Space" is set in what I call my "War Star" subgenre of SF. Starships are often gunboats and the interactions of various interstellar resemble international politics of our near history. But I am not going to focus too much on the politics, but instead do my take on the organization of spacers within those fleets and diplomatic corps. Yes, another take on Star Trek with its serial numbers scrubbed off. As I have volumes of notes on alien species and differing sectors, there will plenty of rocket opera milieu for those that like reading and even playing in it. Many of the aliens will be recognizable many TV shows and S-F movie franchises-- the work is influenced by ST not wholly derivative. The tone is what makes the setting. It is that pseudo-science stuff where rocket fantasy works best, not bleeding over into the swords and laser gun sphere fantasy of say Star Wars

Here's the introduction that I am working on, after typing up ten pages elsewhere:
"When faster-than-light travel is a given and time dilation not even an afterthought, your part of the galaxy is territory that needs to be protected in three dimensions rather than two. Even the most diplomatic-leaning and scientific-minded interstellar ships, or “starships” for short, are potential gunboats just waiting to happen at any given encounter with alien species.
Players will be sent on missions that may last for years, exploring and discovering places unknown to the planet that is their home,“homeworld” if you will. Luckily the insides of their interstellar vessels are as comfortable as stages at TV show production facilities. Most of the worlds encountered are more like the hills of southern California or at worse rock quarries outside of Toronto Canada, where casual wear and maybe coats are needed more often than space suits..."

But the work will be distinct enough for the Spacers campaign. So once again, here goes the typing.


No comments:

Post a Comment