Monday, November 11, 2013

The Atlantis Phenomon

As a guy who loves to write, I am not really a writer. I am the guy who pours out his in-most on paper to hear what an incredibly bad writer I am. I usually need the pressure of the deadline, or writing at work where the pressure is to get as much done before the next bit of work that needs doing pops up. And it's funny how folks want me to squander away those efforts for "play-by-posts" and collaborative development. I mention this because I have received yet another invite by someone that I don't know to participate in his Chivalry and Sorcery adaptation of something to do with Atlantis. And this isn't the first Atlantis themed waste of efforts that has crossed my path by far.

In 1999, I joined a play-by-post where the Gm and I were to explore the lost continent. After three emails of me writing paragraphs of one of the guy's duo of sentences, I let the project go.

In 2006, i was invited to brainstorm with a guy who wanted to set up steampunk, superhero setting, during the Napoleonic Wars, with Atlantis somehow tied in to it. And he wanted everyone around him to just do the creative part, and maybe a lot of the writing. What bugged me about the guy after a week of thinking this might be a fun collaborative effort, where I'd learn valuable insight into how to be more creative, is that he kept thinking Atlanteans and 19th Century Greeks spoke Latin. I pretty much went gonzo from that point before just losing interest. I've heard my Locomotive character, Hulk-Meets-Frankenstein-Meets-Pig Iron, was a big hit for months before the fellow's mother told him that he had to get a job and stop playing on the internet all day. My AustroHungarian apes though sucked I am sure.

What is it about the lost continent that people want to fill it other people's ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment