Saturday, July 16, 2022

Memphis For a Bit

Outside of the vendors' area, it was a typical trip to the South. Great food, dismal accommodations, all served up with exaggerated manners. But that was not the case when dealing with the Joe Bob Brigg's 2022 Jamboree managing team, Humble Enterprises. Peryton had sent me a link in late May to this TV show fans get-together. We hadn't had a date in a while and she had just released Crawlspace: 21 and Over, so I suggested we do a booth. She tried to play hard to get for about fifteen minutes. Next thing I know she was purchasing tee-shirts, baseball caps, and carry bags all with TerrorHog plastered all over them. We were able to get Charlie Flemming's film producer friend Daniel to send us a couple DVDs of Blood Freak and another movie, which I haven't watched yet so its name slips my mind, to sell. Tee-shirts and cheesy movies, we were all set up to sell roleplaying games at convention for horror movie fans.


Because of brush fires along Interstate 40, from Little Rock to Memphis, we showed up about fifteen minutes before the hordes of fandom were allowed to rush into the venue. I set up stuff in a very organized fashion, but didn't put much creativity into it-- I had been driving since 10pm EST the night before from Indianapolis with only a nap between Northwest Arkansas and Mississippi Valley. Things were a little slow but Peryton and I had some catching up to do. Sales, though, weren't bad.


Throughout the rest of the weekend, we made friends and sold product.  Peryton spent a good bit of Saturday being a fan girl and getting photos and autographs. Chants of "Hogzilla! Hogzilla! Hogzilla!" would tend to break out when she was in an area. The movies and merchandise were there to attract the non-roleplayers, I mean the ones that play with dice. A common joke at the table all weekend went like this,


Me: Do you roleplay?
(Customer, dressed like Vampira/Spike, raises an eyebrow)
Me: I mean on a table.
(Customer raises both eyebrows)
Me: ...with pencils and dice.
Customer: Oh that kind...
Me: (Leering) Well, we don't use dice.
Still plenty of RPG buffs showed up for demonstrations of Crawlspace. Plenty just walked up and asked which books should they buy. Sales were good. Both the lady and I were surprised at how helpful the people running the event were.

This was one of the few conventions where I stayed longer than I should've on Sunday. Chatting up neighboring vendors and a couple celebrities, I was sad to leave a couple of hours early to start the six hour drive back to the abode. Showing up at work Monday morning, I had to admit I was refreshed despite the long drives and the work of selling product.
Next year, I am going to try and set up a couple Crawlspace events though. I'll call them "Improvs". Get my real game on.





No comments:

Post a Comment