Monday, August 5, 2019

GenCon '19, Part 1: The GenConenning

So having driven to Springfield, Ohio Tuesday night/Wednesday morning for work, when I left Cleveland to get to Indianapolis I went via Toledo and down the middle, or so, of Indiana. Might as well do the whole Miami River basin in fourteen hours while I was at at. For all hype I heard about traffic jams around Indy, I pulled into the McMarriot right around expected. And the gang was waiting for me. Old Home Dinner (well late lunch) was a blast. I met our newest member Natalie, let's call her The Expert from now on. She was essential for the Supernatural LARPs this year.
Brooke earns her Pubber-Wings by getting us the VIP booth at the Ram
Heading on to JerryTel's "White Plume Mountain" I was more than a bit lubricated. Mz. Rebeccah, our waitress,  had a bob cut and tent dress and I was in love, so I had bought a couple drinks. The game was fun, the man does D&D like a master violinist. It was still D&D, and I had a headache by the time Bill Bricker showed up, about as soused as me but holding it much better, giving an excuse to disappear for a few minutes.
Miskatonic Expedition Indy 2019
The Grid Map of Madness











The morning was pretty much free. I spent time breakfasting and then napping after my roommates, Caed and her hubby, Rodney, and Dylan, a veteran from last year, ventured forth into adventure. Alternately to run games and get tickets. Rodney had some time with me at the room swapping war stories and getting to know each other before it was time for me to find out where my games were going to take place. Oh yeah, Lucas Oil Stadium is just the best place to be, if you're in a stroller. No bar and hopefully somebody else is driving anyway.
This way?

Nope.

Just about there...

No.



















Probably not.
THERE!











Now the conference room itself was great. The stadium is built for sound moving upwards, I would learn, so even when the medium-sized rooms filled up, it was people shouting not the noise of people speaking normally hanging around the place. Alas no ambient cloud of sound ensuring headaches among the weak-hearted and sore throats for GMs. "Alas poor Jurick. I knew him Horatio." That is to say, I wouldn't mind the place next year.
Aaron, 1st year PeryPubber, running something D&D

One of my games. A couple ppl not pictured.

Nearby over at the "Tower of Gaxx," Dan (Frank Sinatra)










































All except one of my games were filled. Sunday was a was. I'll get more into the games themselves tomorrow.

Captain & Touchy-Feel

I asked him to "Pout, baby, pout."

Deadpool belly-dancer? Not trying hard this year.
Some RPGers about to make You Tube history. "A4O"/"O4A" (?) sans plucky GM. She's holding her own camera here.

Mister Awesome McAwesome. AN ORK!

Well because, you bumped into me first.

Mz. Apryl hurdy gurdy metal artist extraordinaire.
 Overall, pretty great. Stayed over on Sunday when the room service at McMarriot gets too busy to make beds or remove towels, but there is still a crowd. Kal and I had dinner and a couple drinks. Bruce Wayne later brought by two small bottles of scotch. Amazingly I was able to wake up by 6:45am w/o any prompting. Drove back through Toledo mostly for the favorite rest stop with its Hardee's outlet. I had forgotten Peryton's present, so I brought home a chicken sandwich which the franchise does the best in the whole world.
Chicken sandwich not pictured here.

No comments:

Post a Comment